Anna Arrowsmith (aka Anna Span) is a pornographer and a professor of gender and sexuality studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara. She began directing pornographic films after graduating from Central St Martin’s School of Art with a B.A. Honors in Fine Art (Film & Video) in 1998. She was the 2007/8 and 2008/9 Best Director at the UK Adult Film & TV Awards and was named Indie Porn Pioneer at the Toronto International Porn Festival in 2007. In 2010 Anna was the Liberal Democrat candidate to represent Gravesham in the House of Commons. She later earned a PhD in Gender Studies from the University of Sussex. She runs WeConsent.org, a site that promotes the rights of sex workers. Her recent book, Rethinking Misogyny: Men's Perceptions of Female Power in Dating Relationships, challenges common feminist assumptions about men’s and women’s sexual power.
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Pornography: Men Possessing Women, by Andrea Dworkin
- ‘Pornography Is What the End of the World Looks Like,’ by Chris Hedges
- Civilization and Its Discontents, by Sigmund Freud
- Nietzsche’s concepts of master and slave morality and ressentiment
- On the Genealogy of Morals, by Friedrich Nietzsche
- A Renegade History of the United States, by Thaddeus Russell